My New Home
It has been quite some time since my last post, and much has happened since then. I have been staying in Okinawa's capital, Naha, since I have arrived because there has been many errands that I needed to do that simply can't be accomplished on the island of Tonaki. I have learned that I must be patient when applying for anything here, whether it be a cellular phone or a bank account. For example, it took almost two weeks for me to get a phone. I was rejected at three places before finally finding one that would accept my application without my Gai-jin (or alien) card, the certificate stating valid permission to live and work in the county. Though I this company accepted an application without this, I was required to have an official document stating that I have an address and job in Okinawa. I waited for two and a half hours at the shop while the clerk did processed the application in the back room. In the end, they told me to come back the following day; and, of course, I couldn't find out why I was being sent home without my much needed means of communication. I thought I had been quite patient until this point, dealing with a couple rejected applications for bank accounts and waiting a few hours for my post office account to be processed. I was so excited that a company was actually going to sell me a phone and when they turned me away, I was frustrated for the first time since being in Japan. Because of these enduring circumstances, it was better for me to stay on the mainland; and there wasn't much to be done at the school on Tonaki anyways. Most of the teachers were on summer holidays. I had only been to my island once, and only for the afternoon, to have a look at the house in which I'll be living and see the school.
I have had amazing hosts! One of the heads of a prefectural division, a returning ALT, offered to allow me to stay at her place while I get my errands done. I stayed there two whole weeks! The Japanese woman with whom I will be team teaching, Minako-sensei, has been helping me immensely by translating everything from documents to be signed (with a name stamp that is used in place of a signature) to verbal information. I don't know what I would have done without these two people.
So, finally, on Tuesday, I arrived in Tonaki to move in and stay my first night in the house I'll live in for at least the next year. It is a small, one room house fashioned in the traditional Japanese style, complete with a low-standing eating table. I am happy to have a fully furnished place because I was initially told that I would have to buy all of my furniture. I even have air conditioning and a washing machine. There is also a TV in the place, but, unless I want to watch programming in a language I don't understand, or episodes of Full House overdubbed in Japanese, I don't think I'll be turning it on much.


I have had amazing hosts! One of the heads of a prefectural division, a returning ALT, offered to allow me to stay at her place while I get my errands done. I stayed there two whole weeks! The Japanese woman with whom I will be team teaching, Minako-sensei, has been helping me immensely by translating everything from documents to be signed (with a name stamp that is used in place of a signature) to verbal information. I don't know what I would have done without these two people.
So, finally, on Tuesday, I arrived in Tonaki to move in and stay my first night in the house I'll live in for at least the next year. It is a small, one room house fashioned in the traditional Japanese style, complete with a low-standing eating table. I am happy to have a fully furnished place because I was initially told that I would have to buy all of my furniture. I even have air conditioning and a washing machine. There is also a TV in the place, but, unless I want to watch programming in a language I don't understand, or episodes of Full House overdubbed in Japanese, I don't think I'll be turning it on much.



5 Comments:
Hey Jon
Saw that you were on here- your place is sweet! And shock, horror, a back yard even- Very kawaii! L
nice house!
Good to hear you are set up in your new home that you'll be living in "in for at least the next year"... hmmm are you thinking that you might be staying for more than a year now? hehehe, I guess even with all the frustrations you are enjoying Japan?
You don't have a couch!
Does this mean that we'll need to cuddle when I come visit?
Dude, Your house looks sweet! Too bad I won't have a chance to crash there. Have fun in Okinawa. John
Post a Comment
<< Home