The number one evening recreational activity here in Japan is by far karaoke. You don't have to venture very far to find a place to either make a fool of yourself or become the next Ken Hirai by belting out your favourite tune. Whenever I have been brought to a karaoke establishment, it wasn't long after the idea was suggested (and believe me, it comes up frequently) that we would find ourselves choosing songs by our favourite artists from a wireless handheld console. I don't know that I would ever find such a place without being directed to one because they are, as of yet, still unrecognizable to me because I cannot yet read Kanji (or any other Japanese character for that matter) and they often aren't very distinctive buildings. Often times one would take an elevator up a few floors after having paid for a couple hours to be escourted into a private soundproof room. There we would find horseshoe style seating around a table facing a TV and a couple of handheld, wireless mics. Very Lost in Translation-esque. Waitresses come around from time to time to take food and drink orders. There is another type of karaoke establishment which is, apparently, much more expensive. My supervisory staff took me to one of these after my 'welcome dinner.' These are called Snack Bars and are quite small and have a few tables and a few stools around a bar. There may be other parties besides your own taking turns seronading the patrons present. Waitresses bring popcorn, bowls of the Japanese version of the potatoe chip, nuts, and snacks of that sort to the tables, as well as anything one would like to drink...it is an all-inclusive ordeal. The most surprizing element of the experience is that, instead of the servers leaving to attend to other tasks around the restaurant, they take a seat around the table. This paid company will cheer you on, encourage people at the table to play various rhythm to accompany the singer, laugh at your bad jokes, fill your bowls and glasses, and Kampai with you after a song well (or not so well) sung.
I am learning that, at least in our circles, Karaoke here is not so much about how well you sing, because everyone participates regardless of ability, but the show you put on. I'm trying my best to perfect my Elton John.
I am learning that, at least in our circles, Karaoke here is not so much about how well you sing, because everyone participates regardless of ability, but the show you put on. I'm trying my best to perfect my Elton John.

4 Comments:
Jon: That is the most rock'n roll picture I have ever seen!
Own that mic.
LOVE IT!!! looks like you're having a good time :)
maaaan, nobody's even MENTIONED karaoke to me over here in Ginowan... what do you have that i don't?!
Jon.... you better have that Elton John perfected for this weekend!!
E.
Post a Comment
<< Home