Thursday, September 21, 2006

My First Japanese Caligraphy Lesson

Once a month one of the top three Japanese caligraphers in Okinawa comes to the Tonaki School to teach both students and teachers this art. As it happens, he was born and raised in Tonaki and is now a famous man. There are certification levels ten through one (best), and then various Masters levels. Kyoto-sensei, a level three, was quite pleased that I was trying and went around the staff room showing the other teachers my first attempt. I have no idea what is considered good, but everyone who saw gave me an arousing round of 'sugoi's (awsome) and 'jose's (sp) (good). Given this response, I feel as though my work is internet-worthy; so move over Joel Mara, I'm a man with a brush (as if).

The top character means 'sky' and the bottom, 'honest.' Together, and when used in the context of a person they mean, 'an authentic, genuine soul.'

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations JONVON!! Japanese calligraphy is truly an art. Ma

3:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a swear word man.
You got lied to.

4:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I started tea ceremony classes last week. It's cool but kneeling in seiza is torturous. I comfort myself with the thought that I'll have the strongest knees/ankles I've ever had. (-: Also hopefully a greater appreciation for Japanese sweets and an extra friend or two.

10:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home