Thursday, September 14, 2006

Storm's a comin'

There's a typhoon scheduled to hit Okinawa on Saturday. I've never experienced a typhoon and don't even really know what one is, but I'm excited to find out. Apparently it involves plenty of wind, some rain, and great waves. I joked about heading out surfing in the next few days off the coast of Tonaki (I doubt, by the way, the villager's information about there being no surf 'cause I saw some the other day while snorkeling off the north coast. It is shallow, however...the wave exploration saga continues) and the teachers gave me a stern look and told me that it's too dangerous. Seeing the waves in the harbour today, I think I'll take their advice. Apparently, a powerful typhoon hit Tonaki in September five years ago that took the roof right of the school's gym. I guess these things could be scary, but I'm much too excited to think much about that for the moment. I think I've thrown caution before the wind has arrived. Not to worry, Mom, I'm sure it'll blow right back in a day or so. The ferry is sure to be cancelled due to large waves over the next few days so I have ordered some food to be shipped here. Just a few necessary items like frosted flakes and syrup.
(It must be mentioned that this is being written while under the influence of Joshua Radin - thanks Deano)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't get caught with your pants down.


but the way, i keep meaning to tell you to check out Trace Bundy at tracebundy.com - awesome guitarist.

3:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could it get as windy as the prairies? Of course there are no waves there.... So are you going to sleep over at the school? Not in the gym tho' Ma

1:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home