Well I survived the storm, thanks to cement and clay shingles, wooden shutters, some good friends, some Hobbits and John Wayne. I believe my roof to be as indestructible as that of a bomb shelter given that it's made of similar materials and looks to be heavier than the all rest of my house put together-including the furniture and the pile of Japanese change sitting on my shelf. A good friend who has invited me to his house for dinner numerous time since i got here came by my place yesterday evening when the wind really started to pick up to ensure i knew how to prepare the place against immanent destruction. Every entranceway and window has an exterior, sliding, heavy, wooden panel that might just keep Godzilla out. Tsetsuaki-san also made me aware of the two papaya trees i have growing in my yard and the enormous garden I felt sure couldn't belong to my residence. He promised to help me plant and harvest some native Okinawan vegetables! While the war waged outside, i was comfortably snug all shuttered into my little traditional-style Japanese abode watching your friend and mine, John Wayne fight on the shores of Iwo Jima. Later, Frodo, Sam, Pippen, and Merry dropped by to see if I was up for an adventure. I joined them in time to see the return of the king and said goodnight feeling somewhat nostalgic. Though I spent most of the day indoors, I had a great time, reminiscent of cold, wintry Saturdays in Edmonton as a boy, amusing myself with the various indoor activities I usually hadn't time for because of the outdoor activity I would caught up in.
I leave you with some enticing pictures of the Island of Tonaki.

I leave you with some enticing pictures of the Island of Tonaki.


3 Comments:
Hey, glad to see you made it through Mordor alive (or at least the typhoon)! I'm shut in for the same reason, but I think Tonaki must've taken the brunt of it. I was able to venture out to the conbini to replenish my food stockpile, and it was pretty fun. I'm pretty sure I've permanently sealed my rep as the Crazy Gaijin though.
Maybe you can beat children at your own school with wooden sticks? They ought to have a kendo club as well. If not, try shooting some of them with your blunt octopus spear.
I miss Okinawa! Typhoons and all. I remember my first typhoon. It was 5 years ago. 9/11. I was drunk w/ friends b/c we knew there would be no school the next day. A plane hit a tower and I thought it was a movie...
Post a Comment
<< Home