Thursday, November 02, 2006

Window

I wasn't sure I wanted to even attempt the task of putting into words my journey to the land that tweaked my heart so. I didn't think that my scribble could ever do justice to the experience of sensations and emotions Cambodia evoked; and even now, after having completed two entries, view them as mere gloss such as a facade attempting to convey in two dimentions and that limited space, all the wonder and beauty within the vast cathedral beyond. Because of some of your requests I will attempt, in my awkward, amature, and crude fashion, to give you a minute glimpse into the seven days that left an interminable impresson. Thanks for your interest.

Let's rewind to the beginning of my trip to Bangkok/Cambodia (the reason I don't say Thailand/Cambodia is that I really only spent time in Bangkok before boarding a bus for the boarder, therefore, i can't really say I saw much of Thailand). On the 21st of October, I boarded a plane in Naha bound for Bangkok. I was meeting my good friend Lukas in the city on the 23rd and thus had a few days to explore on my own before he arrived. I found out a few days after having landed that the new international airport in Bangkok had just opened a few weeks before my arrival and wow, is it nice. I was amazed at the enormity and modernity of the place, given that Thailand is supposed to be a developing nation. Suvarnabhumi airport has a number of levels with the bottom expressly devoted to transportation into the city. When I came through the gate entering into the public portion of the building there were surprisingly many people there to greet me, however, most had spelt my name wrong. I made for the guy with the sign bearing my name in Thai, only, before I could reach him I was intercepted by a nice gentleman wanting to give me a taxi ride into the city. He assured me his price was a bargain at 1000 Baht (~$33). Luckily I had done my homework and knew that there was no way I should pay more than 300.

After declining many more offers on my way to the bottom floor, I found the bus ticket wicket and bought my ticket for the World Center area of Bangkok for 150 Baht (~$3). The ride was quite long as traffic was terrible and the route avoided the expressway. Two hours later, (9 pm) I found myself in the middle of the tourist area of the city having yet to get myself accommodations for the night and knowing that the place I wanted to stay was somewhere in the vicinity. While looking for some kind of sign resembling the one I had seen on the internet, I was astonished at what I was seeing. While I was expecting narrow streets and poverty, what I saw was huge malls with signs inviting shoppers to taste of the Armani and Louis Vitton offered within, modernly dressed Thais, expensive cars, and state-of-the-art transportation systems.

I saw the sign I was looking for and headed off into the side streets. At this point I didn't care too much what I paid, I knew it would be reasonably priced for the kind of accommodations it was (after all, I wasn't staying at the Hilton or Four Seasons or anything) and all I wanted to do was get stationed so that I could get out exploring as soon as I could. There was a music concert going on across the street on the expansive terrace in front of what used to be called the World Trade Center. The sound and stage was amazing with a huge screen set up as a backdrop. I moved on from there shortly and checked out some of the surrounding shops, which I soon found to be as expensive as the high-priced boutiques one would find in the major shopping district of any downtown North American or Japanese city.

I had read somewhere that Bangkok was the place for cheap spa services such as haircuts, manicures and massages so, as my back was aching, I decided to find me some good, strong, and cheap hands to soothe my travel weary pain. I had also heard that Bangkok serves up a whole array of sexual services, and I was hoping to get in on some of that. Just kidding. I took special care to thoroughly explain that I didn't want anything sketchy, "Back massage only, onegaishimasu!" I didn't know what to expect having never paid for such a thing. I will say that I got more sketch than I bargained for.

At the end of my first day, I found myself hating the city. I didn't know how much things should cost and was extremely suspicious of anyone wanting to sell me anything. It was difficult to tell whether people were trying to deceive me or whether their wares were true.

Regardless, I decided that I'd get up early the next morning to do a little sightseeing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad you decided to attempt putting part of your journey into words!

4:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude-buddy-bro! Sounds like your trip was wick-dog. Seriously, I love your jokes... sexual services... inappropriate... love it.

4:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don’t like bkk too! But i am looking forward for what you have to tell about Cambodia!
It was great to meat you and I hope we see you next time in Switzerland ;-)
Matt

1:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jon! stumbled upon your blog through my sister's roommate...who happens to be your friend, erin. :) anyway, just wanted to say hello!! sounds like you're having a blast trekking around asia.

fyi: acts attack is winning this season. i'm not playing and neither are you... hmmmm... ;)
cheerio for now!
steph

12:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have just been informed by friends o` mine in america (who read your blog through mine) that you (their words) REALLY NEED to update it more often, and they would like for you to write more about your school life and daily routine.

2:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home